A 1½ mile circular walk taking you out beyond the mouth of the Dart to offer a taste of the glorious open coast.
Start Dartmouth Castle
Distance 1.8 miles
Terrain Surfaced road; field footpaths; rocky foreshore; woodland footpath. Some sections can be muddy/slippery in the wet.
Car park at Dartmouth Castle.
1. Follow the path up to the left of the old ruined castle, signed ‘Coast Path Stoke Fleming 3 ½ m’ and go up the steps .
2. At the top, cross road to left and take the path up to the right into the woods, past the National Trust ‘Gallants Bower’ sign.
3. Follow the path which climbs steadily as it wends its way up through the woods, until you emerge into the open and reach the old earthworks. The site is fairly small and easily explored.
4. Retrace your steps then take the next path on the right to lead back down to the lane, turning right to follow it along.
5. After 400m, past the old Coast Guard cottages, go straight on through the gate ahead and around the top of the scrubby field.
6. Just before the gate at the far end of the field turn left and follow the hedge down for 100m then turn left again along the Coast Path
7. The path drops steeply down the field. Towards the bottom bear left following the Coast Path waymarker along open area. At the fingerpost you can follow an optional detour right down the footpath and steps to Compass Cove. Retrace your steps
8. At the fingerpost go straight on. Go through the gate into the wooded area and follow the rocky path up the hill.
9. Follow the path as it begins to climb again, and passes through woods.
When you meet the road turn right. After 300m turn right back down the steps to Dartmouth Castle